Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Do You Know Who Stephen Fry Is?

So the other day, I spent my night watching QI a British Panel show. (No I don't watch too many...okay maybe I do but it's my sad/awesome life choice. Don't Judge me.) Anyhoo, this show is hosted by none other than the great Stephen Fry. Please tell me that when your read that name you knew who it was. He is a phenomenal and super famous British Comedian. He had a show with Hugh Laurie (House) for god's sake.

Well, I told my mother what I was doing, and in a vain attempt to make it seem less frivolous to her, I told her it was hosted by Stephen Fry.  He is a credible, renowned comedian that anyone would want to watch, and therefore my mother would obviously approve of my activities.  However, she just looked at me and asked, "Who is that?" I was floored. How could she not know? Everyone knows. Right? Right? I am not crazy? Well, I am but that's another post. So, I then asked my friend and co-writer of this blog if it was weird my mother did not know who he was. She agreed (see not crazy...okay she is not the best person to vouch for sanity), but then she told me her family really had no idea who it was either. So I was back to square one.

All these occurrences made me think. Maybe my world view is skewed, and I have not realized it until now. I literally watch and research so much into my shows that what I consider common knowledge may not be common at all. Not everyone knows who Stephen Fry is. Not everyone knows that Who is not Doctor Who's surname. (Catherine Tate). Not everyone knows that Supernatural started 2005, along with a lot of other great shows like The Office, How I Met Your Mother, and so on. 2005 was really a good year. Sorry off topic.  Not everyone knows that Joss Whedon's reaction to the writers strike was to write Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog. Not everyone knows that the Mascot of Greendale is the Human Beings. Not everyone knows that "Once More with Feeling" premiered almost exactly 11 years ago today. Not everyone knows that J.K. Rowling's favorite animal is an otter and that's why Hermione's (the character she considers most like herself) patronus is also an otter. And that Jack Russell Terriers are known to chase otters which is why Ron's patronus is a Terrier because he chased/liked Hermione. Okay, I that last one is a stretch. I got a little carried away.

But seriously, I really thought that people would know who Stephen Fry is regardless of their British, TV, or comedy interests. He is just a known name. I guess that is not true. Now, I am reflecting on all my TV facts and just wondering which is me being a #trainwreck and which is just a me being normal (as normal as I can be.)

It could be a generational thing. Do You know who Stephen Fry is?


4 comments:

  1. I think that maybe it is a generational thing. Because I know who he is, but a lot of the people I know in real life do not. It could also be geographical. :\ I live in the USA in a place where only Sci Fi people know what Doctor Who is. Everyone else is just like "what the hell is that?". Or so it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm British and Stephen Fry is a national treasure - you'd have to have lived in a cave to not know who he is! P.S QI is my favourite show EVER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, my parents definitely know who he is, and they live in TX. Undoubtably Americans. Fry and Laurie helped shape the comedy scene, after all! But I think it's more of a little bit of everything- of course his name is harder to avoid in Britain. But mostly, I think if you know pop culture and you know comedy, you know Stephen Fry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. If know know anything about comedy, you should know this man's name. Thanks for the comment! We really appreciate it!

      Delete