Friday, January 11, 2013

My Open Love Letter to Starkid

Dear Starkid,

I am not writing to ask for a job, nor am I writing to explain why we should be best friends (although side note, we would be awesome friends). I am simply writing this to shower you with my fan-love.

See the first time I had seen anything you guys had done was during my Sophomore year in college when a friend (and my co-writer on this blog) and I decided to watch A Very Potter Musical to see what our friends had been talking about/we had always meant to but hadn't gotten around to it yet. 

We were both hooked.

I can't speak for her (although it does happen to be one of my favorite things to do) but there were a few things that really got to me. One was Harry taking down the dragon by singing to it, that song is just so adorable and a little heartbreaking at the same time "The truth is in the end, I'm pretty useless without friends" seriously tears at my heart-strings every time I hear it. It also doesn't hurt that my best guy-friend is they guy who brings his guitar to parties and sings songs to people and Harry reminded me so much of him at the time.

I don't want you to think that "Hey Dragon" is the only song that I love. I would go so far as to say that "Not Alone" is the best song about friendship that I've ever heard. But I equally love "Voldemort is Going Down" and "No Way" so that may not be fair. I'm not even bringing the "Holiday Club" into the discussion because it's technically not a Starkid song. I will say though, that "Holiday Club" has been passed on to all of my closest friends because I feel like it's a song that we should all know together.

You're shows are well written and have catchy music. Not to mention that they are hilarious. I was in a break between classes when Holy Musical Batman came out but had to stop watching it because I was laughing so hard that it looked like I was distracting my fellow students.

That might also just be a personal problem. I'd tell you that I was working on it, but that would be a lie. I have no intention of doing that. Somehow I feel like you understand that.

I guess I'm just writing this to tell you exactly how much these shows mean to me. It goes even deeper than that for me actually. See I am very, very into theatre tech and during my first year of college a few other tech-inclined students and I started a student run theatre tech group. There were four of us at first but it quickly grew and even though I left after two years, I did get to watch my friends do amazing things with that group.  It was about that time (as I mentioned earlier) that my co-writer (who was President of that club for almost the entire time she was as school) and I found  A Very Potter Musical and so to watch all of you become so crazy popular just by doing a thing that you loved and sticking with it really got to me. Not to mention that I could draw parallels to my own life. Both Starkid and the Techie's Union founders were just college kids wanting to do a thing that they loved. It just felt so similar to the journey that we were on that I couldn't not fall in love with Starkid as a whole.

It really didn't hurt that you were making witty, clever and catchy musicals either...and that you actually liked each other

I think I'm done, I just had to write to say thanks.

Also, we (the trainwrecks) were ecstatic when you moved your home base to Chicago because that just so happens to be the place where we live as well. I truly cannot wait to see what you have next for us fans. (And Airport for Birds is so soon! We can't wait to see it.)

Okay, I'm actually done.
With love, The #Trainwrecks

And because I haven't made a fool out of myself enough, and by that I mean you have been completely taken by my clever wit and well written letter that you just have to follow me on social media sites, you can do so here:

Twitter: Andimatrainwrec (Katie), npalmerco08 (Nora)
Tumblr: Aaannddimatrainwreck (official), kahildreth (Katie), stillnuttypony (Nora)

No comments:

Post a Comment