Friday, December 28, 2012

Just a letter to a show...

This is something that I wanted to write on Twitter, but it got too long. I also thought about writing this and posting it on Facebook or Tumblr, but in my heart, I know it is perfectly at home here. You see, I just finished the Leverage Series finale. A finale that came as a shock to me because I was expecting (hoping) for another year or so before it was cancelled. I'm glad that John Rogers and his team of writers were thinking ahead because this finale was worth everything.

It almost surprises me how much this show ending means to me. For those of you don't know, this is a Robin  Hood type of show on TNT that has a crew of thieves stealing from the rich and powerful to give to those who truly need it. It's cast includes Timothy Hutton, Christian Kane, Aldis Hodge, Beth Riesgraf and Gina Bellman.

Man, that backspace button has become my best friend during this post. Nothing that I type will ever be able to really get across just how I feel about this show. I may not know all of the episode titles but I do know that things like "Age of the Geek" and "DAMMIT *insert any name here*" will be things that I continue to say...probably forever. And I'm sure that "20 lbs of crazy in a 5 lb bag" has been said about me more than once.

I suppose that I'm just writing this to thank the cast, crew and writers for a fantastic ride these last five years. I'd write more but everything that I say sounds corny and ridiculous/cliched. I'm so glad I have you #trainwrecks because I know that you understand my ramblings.  I could sit here and lament of all my wishes that I have for this show: that we had seen where Eliot visiting his Dad had gone, and that we had found out what Sophie's real name was (although you did have me with Laura for a second there). I still want to know if the Parker/Eliot/Hardison relationship is just in my head or if it's a real, legitimate thing like I so want it to be (seriously, they die holding hands? Stop torturing me).

But I won't, much.

This is truly meant to be a thank you. To the writers for creating these characters and to the actors for really giving them life. I don't know what the show would have been without these dynamics that I like to think is brought by these specific actors. I love how much I could relate to these characters even though they had been through impossible situations in their lives. That, I know is a collective effort of the writers, creators, cast and even the crew.

One of my favorite comedians/podcasters/tv personalities (yes, yes I know, I can't go one post without the Nerdist being involved in some way.),Chris Hardwick, loves to say that it takes a miracle to get a show even read, and then another to have it cast with good actors who want to be there and with writers who want to make it happen and another still to be given a pilot, and then again for that pilot to be picked up. For Leverage to have all of these things and five seasons is a tribute to just how good of a show it truly is/was. I'm not even going to start in on how some of my favorite actors ever were guest stars (but since you twisted my arm, Alona Tal, Sean Faris, Wil Wheaton and Adam Baldwin to name a few).

I guess what I've really just been trying to say is Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Thank you for five years of a great television show, thank you for introducing/reintroducing me to some actors, whose careers I am sure I will be following for a long time.  Thank you big time for reminding me that Christian makes fantastic country music. I am so sad to see this show leave my TV screen but I am comforted with the knowledge that I can still watch episodes on Netflix (and ask for the DVD sets for the foreseeable future). Leverage may no longer be a running show, but it will forever run in our hearts (okay, ew corny I know, but still true).

I'm boring myself with the sap/have to go comfort myself by watching terrible terrible things happen to John Rogers in Fiasco on TableTop (Go google it, it's fantastic, if you don't already know what it is).


Make sure to follow us too on:
Twitter: Andimatrainwrec (Katie), npalmerco08 (Nora)
Tumblr: Aaannddimatrainwreck (official), kahildreth (Katie), stillnuttypony (Nora)

No comments:

Post a Comment