Friday, October 26, 2012

My open love letter to the Nerdist

A year ago if you had asked me to name a podcast, maybe I would have been able to name one, but let's face it that's a big maybe.  Six months ago I fell down a YouTube hole and watched an entire season (granted it was only about twelve, ten minute episodes but still.) of All Star Celebrity Bowling in one evening and that was when I fell in love with the Nerdist even though I didn't know it.  Five months ago, I started listening to the Nerdist Podcast run by comedian Chris Hardwick and his friends (also comedians) Jonah Ray and Matt Mira. Today I have listened to over two hundred of their two hundred and seventy-four episodes. Three weeks ago I wrote this quemment to them (you know, a question that's also a comment...it's a quemment.) and today I decided that I want to share it with you. Because seriously, who else knows about loving things as much as I do than my fellow #trainwrecks.

Dear Matt, Jonah and Chris (In no particular order, that's just the way I say it in my head.), I started listening to your Nerdist Podcast in May of this year (yes from the beginning, I'm anal like that) and tonight I started the 200th episode with Kevin Smith. You go with me to school and are the cause (okay, one of the causes) of me making a fool out of myself in public when I start laughing in the grocery store or the parking lot while trying to find my car (which is a whole other story entirely). I've listened to you as I fall asleep and while I attempt to get myself looking vaguely presentable at an hour that I'm always surprised is in the AM as well as the PM. I've laughed with you, and at you...we've had our differences and I've shouted the titles of movies/books/songs that you've had trouble remembering into my radio/iPod while forgetting that you can't hear me. You've interviewed some of my favorite people as well as people that I had previously not known or liked but I always come out of a podcast having at least learnt something and usually with a large amount of respect for everyone involved.
And now that I've written my giant, gushy love letter...here's my point. Earlier I was listening to the Romany Malco episode and Chris mentioned that one of the reasons he wanted Romany on was because of the way he interacts with his fans and uses the internet. Here is my request: read this open love letter, from someone I'm sure we could ALL have a drink with and come out wanting to be his best friend/want to marry him (no? just me? it happens.), to Darren's fans and get him on the fucking podcast. 
See he and his friends wrote and starred in a little play during college called A Very Potter Musical and they put it up on YouTube for their friends and family to see, two years later their YouTube channel has 200,000,000 views, they have started their own production company (Team Starkid) and Darren is on Glee. They use the internet and social media in ways that I can only dream of and as a theater techie myself, who helped start a tech group in college that has now reached levels my friends and I never even thought of four years ago, Darren is such an inspiration and I know a few people that would love to hear him on your podcast (myself included). Did I mention he's super duper smart and a generally nice guy and lives in LA?
Don’t get me wrong, I know that’s not how podcasting actually works. Intellectually, I know that you guys can’t just say into the universe “I bet Darren Criss would be awesome on the podcast” and *poof* he’s there. I just think you’d make a ton of nerds so unbelievably happy if this happened.
And now that I've totally bored you/I’m sure you’re not actually reading this because I ramble and it’s become way way too long. Daffy Duck. I’ll just finish with a silly trick my dad pulled in law school when he was convinced that his TA wasn't reading all of the papers all the way through. But seriously I love the podcast.



So my beloved #trainwrecks, there we have it. I'm not sure that this will do anything (okay let's be real, this won't do anything) to help get my pretend best friend Darren Criss onto the podcast of my other pretend best friends,I just had to get it out. And like all of the other ridiculous things I do that cause my friends to ask "WHY?!" or sigh in an exasperated sort of way (I'm looking at you....everyone...), I do not regret it. Because at the very end of the day, I am secure in my knowledge of two things: 1) that at least someone other than me has read it and 2) that at least one other person out there has the same feelings as me...not necessarily about Darren Criss, or Starkid, or even the Nerdist..but I know that at least one of you has at some point felt a need to write someone a letter like this. And just for the record, I think you should do it. What have you got to lose?


Also, for Darren Criss's open love letter to his fans check out this link! Trust me, it's adorable.


2 comments:

  1. I can't believe no one has commented on this, it's awesome. I'm glad you wrote all those words and put it out there, it's totally worth something to ME. #fellowtrainwreck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! That's exactly why I put it on here, so that all of the #trainwrecks know we're not alone. I'm SO glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete